TOPIC:

Realistic Cockpit Choice? 7 years 10 months ago #333940

• S. E. Dailey
  • S. E. Dailey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • fortis Fortūna adiuvat
  • Thank you received: 864

First off, thank you Zup, and also to the mischievous, ghost in the machine that metes out Murphy’s Law inspired punishment randomly throughout our dysfunctional little Dogfight community!

I’ve updated Elite, I got to play for a while last night, and I didn’t have any game wrecking, functionality issues.
BUT it just wouldn’t feel like a dogfight forum post if I didn't have at least one complaint, demand, or egocentric request to lump onto Zup’s desk . . .

The biggest change I noticed from the update was the lack of the “Realistic Cockpit” choice. Is that gone for good or is that just part of the growing pains Elite has experienced with this last series of updates?
. .
Interesting viewpoint, but it kind of loses some of the immersion factor for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cricket

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by S. E. Dailey.

Realistic Cockpit Choice? 7 years 10 months ago #333945

• {GI} E*A*G*L*E
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Long live GI
  • Thank you received: 3213
Zup stated before that he had to get rid of the cockpit because of what will be coming in future updates.
The following user(s) said Thank You: airwolff, S. E. Dailey

Realistic Cockpit Choice? 7 years 10 months ago #333950

• S. E. Dailey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • fortis Fortūna adiuvat

{GI} E*A*G*L*E wrote: Zup stated before that he had to get rid of the cockpit because of what will be coming in future updates.

I'm assuming that was in reference to the new WWII planes; it would mean adding the graphics and a routine that made sure the right cockpit loaded with the right airplanes.

Still, for me, the game loses something without the cockpit view. It also gains something . . . now I can't read my altitude and speed half the time because of all the chat txt scrolling down the left side of my screen. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: dognamitt, airwolff

Realistic Cockpit Choice? 7 years 10 months ago #334009

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398
Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

The following user(s) said Thank You: S. E. Dailey

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate.

Realistic Cockpit Choice? 7 years 10 months ago #334057

• S. E. Dailey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • fortis Fortūna adiuvat

Nice McFate . . . the kilt was bad enough, but now the picture of you flying around in your Wonder Woman costume will give me nightmares for a week. :lol:

First, I am a DF fan; DF1, Elite, I've enjoyed them both, and I love the community. So merely for discussion purposes, (and trying desperately to avoid any unintentional resemblance to the insolent ranting and complaining that has become commonplace in the forums lately) I’d like to pose a question . . .

With the caveat that I could be completely wrong about this assumption, as E*A*G*L*E stated, Zup apparently sacrificed the cockpit view in lieu of future updates . . . the updates he referred to would most likely be the WWII planes.

Now if you don’t exclusively fly in external view; what do you get visually to tell you that you’re in a plane, let alone a specific model or era of plane? I guess the glass half full view would be “exactly, it cuts down on a lot of coding and additional graphics that add to the potential for glitches and bugs for the sake of some superfluous visual bling.

Speaking from the glass half empty cult for a moment . . . exactly, if I’m not constantly flying in 3rd person view, what difference does the cool model of my plane make to me 95% of the time? You could just kick up the speed on my Spad and for all I can tell from the simple cockpit view I’m flying a Me 109.

Not being a 3rd person enthusiast, I have effectively traded my cockpit view for the chance to shoot at new models in a revved up Spad. Adding new features is cool, upgrading old features with improved versions is cool . . . downgrading good existing features to facilitate new features (that are not directly related) kind of lessens the wow factor of WWII planes. Not a deal breaker, I’ve been a proponent of Elite since day one, but now I’m just not enjoying it as much. It just doesn’t feel like flying as much as it did.

Also, I don’t know if everyone has this problem, but on my simple screen, the altitude and speed are superimposed over my name and squadron info. Add in the chat txt scrolling down the left side of the screen, and it’s extremely difficult to keep track of altitude and speed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, airwolff

Realistic Cockpit Choice? 7 years 10 months ago #334059

• airwolff
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • seek wisdom
  • Thank you received: 257

S. E. Dailey wrote: Also, I don’t know if everyone has this problem, but on my simple screen, the altitude and speed are superimposed over my name and squadron info. Add in the chat txt scrolling down the left side of the screen, and it’s extremely difficult to keep track of altitude and speed.

this is very true. i'm guessing we are not the only ones who noticed this and it is probably on the short to-do list.

also, i miss my dials... but i got better.

Realistic Cockpit Choice? 7 years 10 months ago #334064

• baron rojo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3431

la cabina debe ser de la 2 guerra mundial si o si,sino es como su volases cualquier otro avión deberían parecerse a aquellos,pues es
como lo sentirías más real.

the cabin must be of World War 2 if or if, but it's like your volases any other aircraft should look like those, it is
as more real feel.

Last edit: by baron rojo.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds