• Page:

TOPIC:

martianside f4 buzzard 9 years 8 months ago #197493

• darraxx
  • darraxx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10674
Ok I was looking at ww1 planes. And I would like to ask that this plane be a top allied fighter. I can't post a pic so those interested can Google ww1 fighters. Although it came to late in the war it should of been more than a match for the d8. If you read the history about it you might agree also I found a ww1 plane that had cannons on it but the name escapes me it was built in 1917 and it was an allied plane
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] Finn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by darraxx.

martianside f4 buzzard 9 years 8 months ago #197523

• [NLR]Jacob10000
  • Thank you received: 1711
Bravo, darraxx! Finally an aircraft topic by you, in the aircraft section. :) just kidding bud. I'll be sure to post a pic of the buzzard for you when I get a chance.

martianside f4 buzzard 9 years 8 months ago #197530

• [NLR]Jacob10000
  • Thank you received: 1711
The Martinsyde F.4 Buzzard was developed as a powerful and fast biplane fighter for the Royal Air Force (RAF), but the end of the First World War led to the abandonment of large-scale production. Fewer than 400 were eventually produced, with many exported. Of particular note was the Buzzard's high speed, being one of the fastest aircraft developed during World War I. (Copied from Wikipedia)

Last edit: by [NLR]Jacob10000.

martianside f4 buzzard 9 years 5 months ago #218474

• Cundall
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 217
The Buzzard was indeed a fine aeroplane, and large numbers were ordered before the war ended, though it lost out in the postwar RAF to the Sopwith Snipe (another very fine aircraft, see pic)

The Buzzard was developed by the Aircraft Disposal Company and a number were sold to Spain, Finland and Latvia (as the Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar engined ADC1, which was allegedly a match for the similarly-powered Armstrong Whitworth Siskin of the RAF).

It was very much an 'energy fighter', being fast and powerful, while the Snipe was a 'turning fighter', being agile and manoeuvrable.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.454 seconds