Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The history of our planes and why they were moved 9 years 11 months ago #181173

• butcher213
  • butcher213's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 11
With all the new planes/plane order changes coming in, I have decided to take a step back and tell you all about these planes in reality and when and why they were created. I have seen the question asking why the order of the planes has been changed, so here's why. In short: here comes a history of ww1 aircraft when it comes to Dogfight:

The first aircraft were spy/reconnaissance planes, much like the Airco. Combat between these planes were limited to jeers, then to throwing things, then to shooting pistols and rifles, and then to grenades as the belligerents’ planes pass each other. And then the French attached a machine gun to the front of “pusher” planes (like the Airco) and aerial warfare was born. An example of these planes is the Nieuport XI (yes, it’s spelled Nieuport). Although the Nieuport has a forward-facing propeller, its machine gun is on top of the second wing. These first fighters were sluggish and unmaneuverable, until a German company, called Fokker, came out with the Fokker E-series, one of the first plane groups with a front-facing propeller and a “stepper” that allowed machine guns to fire through the propeller. These mono-winged planes dominated the skies over a period now called “The Fokker Scourge“. In fact, the dogfight picture at the top of the forum is a scene of this event. The Allies then rushed to create the Airco DH2 to combat the Fokkers. The Airco easily outmaneuvered the Fokkers and rendered then obsolete. Near the end of the Scourge, another German company came out with the Pilfaz, which was also referred to as a Fokker by Allied pilots. The Germans followed up with the Albatros series, including the D.III and the D.V. The Allies, almost at the same time, came up with the Nieuport XVIII. The SE5a and Spad XIII came out shortly thereafter, and, with the accompaniment of the Sopwith series, helped maintain air superiority for the Allies for the rest of the war. There was a period of time in 1917, called “Bloody April”, where the Fokker Dr. 1 came out and massacred the Allied planes, but the Sopwith Camel ended the Fokker’s desperate try.

That is pretty much it. I used Wikipedia for some of the information and background knowledge for the rest. Some of the information might be wrong, but oh well. I hope this clears up some of the airplane confusion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rudolf Rednose, EchoSaber, King of the Skys, Ziza, Sharp Shooter, Rael Zappa

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The history of our planes and why they were moved 9 years 11 months ago #181778

• [M]ad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3321
good info bro..
thanks

The history of our planes and why they were moved 9 years 11 months ago #181799

• [TFL] muziki1
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 180
For anyone interested in 1st world war aviation history,check out this website.. :)

www.crossandcockade.com/customer/login.asp#sthash.LbP0yEZ2.dpbs
The following user(s) said Thank You: [M]ad

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds