Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section is for squadrons recruiting, events and chats.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85252

• Smokepiper
  • Smokepiper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 40
I thought this posted last night so I apologize if it is a duplicate.

I have enjoyed the game for the past several weeks. I have enjoyed the in game banter and play. I have done my best to be a wingman and help teammates in need. As such, I was approached last night to join a squadron. My first thought was cool. However, I began thinking. Can I date a squad? I dated my wife for six years prior to our wedding. I don't want to jump into a squadron before finding out who they are. My question is this: How did you know your squad was right for you?

I guess I'd like to date a few different squadrons. You know, play the field. Your thoughts?
Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

— Derek Robinson, Piece of Cake, 1983.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85253

• --J--
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 839
Most squads have a recruit squad, I think those are the perfect opportunity to get to know without " going all the way "

If you build it, I will come.......and bomb it !!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr Dave.

Last edit: by --J--.

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85256

• *EOI* RAPTOR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 5126
Well smoke, I'm afraid that would make you look disloyal in most squads eyes my friend. :pinch: Most members of most all squads are quit loyal to said squad, as should be. ;)
However, what you could do is this. On the squadron forum, you'll see a good sized list of the difference squads. On the first page of each thread are the rules and regs of that particular squadron you may be interestedin joining. There you can get a pretty good idea on which one may fit you best. A commitment would be after you shop the first pages.

Hope that helps,
Best of luck.

P.S. Most memberships are by invitation.

Flyin and dyin

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85258

• Smokepiper
  • Smokepiper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 40
I understand that squads are by invitation. There was an invitation, so joining hadn't been something I was considering until someone asked. Now that I have the first invitation the thought process begins. Perhaps a different way of asking this question would be how many Squadrons were you (plural) asked to join before you made a decision?

I hope I'm not being terribly argumentative, just a passing thought on a Tuesday afternoon.
Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

— Derek Robinson, Piece of Cake, 1983.

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85268

• *EOI* RAPTOR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 5126
Honestly, I joined the first squad that invited me..... Luckly it was a good fit for me. I've since changed squads, not for reasons of discontent either, I had an opportunity come before me and chose to give it a shot.... Of course i only dated my wife for a year...... And i.ve since devorced...... Seems to be a pattern. :ohmy:

This is banter for the most part, I do take you serious, and dont think you being argumentative, you ask good questions and seem sincere. Martin with MOM made some good points that may be helpful for you too Smoke.

Flyin and dyin
The following user(s) said Thank You: ¥M4rtin¥

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85270

• ParrotHead
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Growing older, but not up!
  • Thank you received: 3728

Smokepiper wrote: I understand that squads are by invitation. There was an invitation, so joining hadn't been something I was considering until someone asked. Now that I have the first invitation the thought process begins. Perhaps a different way of asking this question would be how many Squadrons were you (plural) asked to join before you made a decision?

I hope I'm not being terribly argumentative, just a passing thought on a Tuesday afternoon.

Smoke, you're wise and prudent to "date" around, even if it sounds a little slutty. Some of us like that kinda stuff. I'll offer you my experience and maybe it'll help.

I flew for a week or so before I got my first invitation. I was so excited that I joined right away. I had not realized that when I joined I was actually a lower rank than that squad allowed for their new members. This caused some questions from other members of that squad. So not wanting to cause any strife voluntarily removed myself from the squad, stating that I planned to come back once I hit the requisite rank. Another week of flying (addiction had me fully in its grasp at that time) I had the aforementioned rank. However, I had realized that the style of play of some of those in that squad were drastically differently an my own. They're ideas of fair play were different than my own. I'm not putting these folks down. For the most part they were a great group of guys, just obviously different than myself. I had received invitations to join or check out other squads by this time. At least 3 others. Having learned my lesson with the first squad, I waited for another week or so, read the threads and chatted a lot with folks in game. I finally came to the conclusion that the humor, irreverence, and common ancientness of the guys in M.O.M were my best fit. I do not think there are any hard feelings from the first squad ( to their credit), but there could have been. I wish I had shopped around at first instead of jumping in like I had, but it all worked out.

All of that is a long-winded way to say, go ahead and look, shop, date. When folks notice you ingame and ask you to stop by or outright invite you to join, don't feel bad if you reply that you are keeping your options open. They'll understand. Feel free to post an introduction on the squad threads and tell them you're looking. Good luck my friend and welcome to the forum. Hope to see in the sky again soon.
Fuck this place. Second rate hack playing in a yard that's too big for him.

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85283

• [e]hammer_tool
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • ut malleus omnia similis clavum
  • Thank you received: 1285

i agree with parrot. don't rush in, if a squad wants you, they will still want you next week. i waited almost 3 weeks before i joined, just to be sure that the squad had similar values.

ut malleus omnia similis clavum

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85285

• Hamers
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • leader of kamikazi squadron
  • Thank you received: 273
some of the smaller squads would gladly take you one no questions asked. however if you do look around join one that looks perfesional and organized. don't join the first one you see. if you need to you can ask the leader questions.
just 2 cents from a squad leader!
good luck on your quest
lets eat grandma. lets eat, grandma. commas save lives
The following user(s) said Thank You: yose[M]ite

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85287

• Hamers
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I was offered 2 squad postions. one offered more but I went with the other. I wish I hadent because I soon got kicked out for reasons and started my own. so make sure yo look at what each squad has to offer. of you join a new growing squad you might get a position of atority where as if you join a big quad you will be just another member

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85328

• Luna
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1516
I left the Falcons to create the NLR. I have no regrets, but I miss being a part of that team.

As a squad leader, I can tell you that "squad switching" is usually frowned upon. If you do it once, with permission, it's usually okay. But if you flip flop around, most squads will eventually decline you.

The concept of these "squadrons" resemble a close-knit team. Squadrons are defined by their members, and pilots are heavily defined by their squadron.

I hope you find your way in this endeavor, and good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yose[M]ite

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85342

• Dr Dave.
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • EXTERMINATE
  • Thank you received: 2818

M4rtin wrote: The best way to look at a squad is to read their forum thread. The first ever post on their thread tells you a little about them. I would also suggest reading the rest of their thread so you get to know the people that are participating forum wise.

Well you can read all of their 1st threads except the MoMs... :huh: They were nuked by the Jackson General a week ago... Even though they were wiped out, There were a few survivors and most of them are afraid the General will strike again without warning :ohmy: :evil: Never trust a Drunk Confederate with a nuke button.... :whistle:
I could care....But I dont

Last edit: by Dr Dave..

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85386

• [NLR]Jacob10000
  • Thank you received: 1711
I originally joined Enigma, which was the best squad for me at the time. I am now a member of the Black Eagles because as more squads were made more choices came to me. When I started there were 3 main squads, now that there are more squads I think that it shouldn't be too difficult to find a group that you agree with and get along with. Just feel it out and see where you end up.

Dating before joining 11 years 1 month ago #85465

• Hamers
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I started there were 2 main squads. both wanted me lol

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.457 seconds