• Page:

TOPIC:

little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #6908

• veidar2
  • veidar2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 162
With a normal number of participants, all missions will offer a sufficient amount of dogfighting, as well as giving an opportunity for organized and cooperative efforts. The "everyone shoots at everyone else" missions may be a good way for top pilots to increase their scores, but offer little above that.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by veidar2.

Re: little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #6911

• Manfred
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Just Manfred
  • Thank you received: 3866
Bomb Airport is the game that "boosts" my score, if there is one game that does it more than others. I agree that Dogfight mission focuses the pilot on a selfish skill, but I like that as a relief from interdependence, at least for one mission. I'd like to keep it, for that reason. But maybe there should be a team version, where the goal is a collective kill sum. There would be team work in that.

One other reason I like the Dogfight mission is that there are no long boring flights back to"the target" after getting killed. Sometimes I just don't have the patience for that!

Manfred

Re: little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #6913

• zuperman
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13142
Well, the all vs all "dogfight" was requested many many times on these forums, so I added it.
I also think is a nice break from the other missions, since you don't belong to any team and it's no-law-land :)

Re: little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #6936

• SkyDavis
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 111th Falcon squad
  • Thank you received: 836
We do need a good team dogfight thoue the free for all one drivs me nuts becuse you have to fly all over the place to finde some one to kill drivs me insane and it's the game I get into the most if ther was a team dogfight and I got into that one a ton I think I would be ok.

Re: little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #7438

• veidar2
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
On second thought I believe you are right. The "dogfight"-mission is in a way a relaxing alternative to the others. The high-profile players are so busy at challenging one another that even a novice can survive for a while to fly around and learn. The dogfight option is at times plagued with too many vultures that circle around the airfields and carriers and won't allow others to get off the ground. With immunity, however, you can rev the engine with the brakes on to get up quicker.

Re: little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #7456

• SkyDavis
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 111th Falcon squad
I'm going to have to try that.

Re: little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #7458

• veidar2
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It's a genuine built in function. You let go the moment you see the plane start to vibrate, or you'll topple over. Commercial pilots do this routinely to get airborne quickly on a short airstrip.

Re: little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #8396

• veidar2
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Quite often, missions quickly degrade, if I may say so, into dogfighting with little other plan and purpose than to shoot at others and avoid being shot oneself. The best shot, or the best dogfighter, wins the game for the team.
In the zep hunt mission, dogfighting distract the players to such a degree that the real object. the zeppelin, is forgotten. A team of good shots who could easily have downed the zep, instead allows it to get so far that it can no longer be stopped.

Re: little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #8399

• iQQi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 62

zuperman wrote: Well, the all vs all "dogfight" was requested many many times on these forums, so I added it.
I also think is a nice break from the other missions, since you don't belong to any team and it's no-law-land :)

As someone just getting going in the game I absolutely love the A-V-A dogfight mission

Everyone concentrated in the same area - as mentioned no lengthy flying to anywhere - also more chances to go after the top dog in the same mission (although sometimes I'm hit repeatedly at take off by him, maybe easy way to raise his score as I am more of a sitting duck).

I'd even like it to come up more often.

Maybe a 5 sec immunity on the pad - sometimes I check scores when I come back in the game and get sent back out as I took too long to hit resume.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. --- Goethe

Re: little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #8409

• SkyDavis
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 111th Falcon squad
lol i do the same i constantly look at the score. i still need to learn to not do that while flying in a dogfight.

Re: little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #8418

• veidar2
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Dogfighting is entertaining and challenging, no question about it! So much so, in fact, that the supposedly "real" purpose of the missions often is forgotten. :-)

Re: little need for a dedicated "dogfight" mission? 12 years 2 months ago #8419

• veidar2
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The five sec immunity is there, although it doesn't always work reliably. If I try to strafe other players at the start of the airstrip or when they have just been respawned on the flight deck, I am warned that they are immune. At other times I get shot the same second I appear on the flightdeck.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds