• Page:

TOPIC:

A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26635

• Galahad
  • Galahad's Avatar Topic Author
  • In periculo nos fugere
  • Thank you received: 8
Hello Fellow WWI Aces,

Greetings to all and thank you for flying in this great game. I salute all whom I've flown with and against.

My handle is "Galahad." I am an American pilot who has lived in Japan, England, Canada, and spent significant amounts of time traveling in many other countries. I've enjoyed learning how to play Dogfight but am still learning the ins and outs of the game.

For those of you who know history, "Galahad" was the illegitimate son of Sir Lancelot and Elaine in the Arthurian legends. He was renowned for his gallantry and purity and was never defeated in battle. He was one of the only knights in King Arthur's court to find the Holy Grail. Why did I choose this name? I chose this handle because as a student of history, I learned that the pilots who flew in World War I were in many cases gentlemen who followed a strict code of conduct and rules of engagement. Many of the pilots who flew against each other over the skies over Europe actually knew each other as acquaintances before the war because many Englishmen and Germans were related or went to some elite schools before the war. There are even some pilots rumored to try to shoot down an enemy plane without killing the pilot because they enjoyed the competition so much that they wanted to continue the game!

Call me "Old School" but when I play this game, I aspire to follow this same spirit and the same code of conduct and gentlemanly behavior I've read about. Therefore, I will:

• shoot planes that are in the air
  • Never shoot a plane on a runway
  • Never shoot a plane that is on a carrier deck
  • If I'm in a tank I will not sit on an enemy runway and pick off planes that are taking off (this is cowardice in my book)

I'd be very interested to know what fellow DogFight fans think of this code of conduct. In my humble opinion, I'd rather fly with and against pilots who value and respect those who take the time to learn to fly well in combat and not those who choose to try to rack up kills by cowardly tactics like hovering around the runway or sitting in a tank at the edge of a runway. Let's engage in battle in the air and celebrate the great fliers and aces who deserve credit for learning how to fly and fight well, evade opposing pilots, and who respect a fair and fun fight.

Rock on fair gentlemen and women! I look forward to flying with and against you, because without you, there would be no "DogFight." See you in the skies.

Respectfully submitted,

Galahad the Pure
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]Jacob10000, Paul Mantz, Jr., Allied

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Galahad.

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26636

• Hamers
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • leader of kamikazi squadron
  • Thank you received: 273
What's your opinion on shooting planes on decks of carriers in capture the carrier.
lets eat grandma. lets eat, grandma. commas save lives
The following user(s) said Thank You: Galahad

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26641

• CalvinIsAwesome
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fly [e]nigma, or I won't let you fly.
  • Thank you received: 963
I agree with the spirit of all of that, Galahad. Spawnkilling is stupid, and it ruins the game. I think its acceptable to do it if you do it to cover yourself once or twice while you bomb. Otherwise, its annoying.

Im okay with killing people on the deck. They have every oppertunity to get up before you shoot them, not like you spawn on it. You could get off the deck before you can be shot. If i see bullets, i get off and shoot back.
See you in the skies!

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26675

• Galahad
  • In periculo nos fugere
Hey Hammers,

Great question. I think shooting enemy planes on the deck of a captured carrier makes sense as that's the object of that particular game. I'm still reticent to do it as I'd rather engage the fighter in the air and see what they've got for flying skills, and it's more fun in my opinion. I might graze their wing to tempt them into a dogfight.

Thanks for weighing and asking. Hope to see you in the air sir.

Respectfully yours,

Galahad
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Mantz, Jr.

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26676

• Galahad
  • In periculo nos fugere
Hi Calvin,

Thanks for weighing in. I agree with you on the carrier tactics though sometimes I just get stuck on the deck while repeatedly being strafed by cowards trying to rack up kills. I'd rather engage in the air matching my skills (or lack of them ;^} ) with my oponent's.

Thanks again for your opinion. Hope to fly on your wing sometime.

Respectfully yours,

Galahad

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26687

• SheiBe Kopf
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 744
Well said and I agree.... Welcome and I Look forward to seeing you in no mans land.. I'm a big target..

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26782

• SkyDavis
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 111th Falcon squad
  • Thank you received: 836

Galahad wrote: Hey Hammers,

Great question. I think shooting enemy planes on the deck of a captured carrier makes sense as that's the object of that particular game. I'm still reticent to do it as I'd rather engage the fighter in the air and see what they've got for flying skills, and it's more fun in my opinion. I might graze their wing to tempt them into a dogfight.

Thanks for weighing and asking. Hope to see you in the air sir.

Respectfully yours,

Galahad

Eh dont shoot a enemy plane on deck in a capture the carrier game. They will take advantage of it and become a walking solder and sit there invisible to you and capture the ship.
What you wrote is followed by most of the pilots in the game. The big time acs some times will still spawn kill but most of the people hear on the forum and in the squadrons will avoid spawnkilling unless it is to make sure the a bomber gets in and bombes and dose not have to worry about any guy that gets of the ground and quickly points his guns and gets hits in on the bomber killing him. I have yet to fly with you and i bet it will be great when i do get that chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Galahad, CalvinIsAwesome, Paul Mantz, Jr.

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26839

• Allied
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • God save the Queen!
  • Thank you received: 162
I am annoyed by spawnkillers and carrier shooters.I fly more like the famous german ace Manfred von Richthofen.
1.Let an enemy plane escape if they try to and let them land.
2.Engage on sight and shoot before they start shooting you.
3.Try to hit the pilot and not the machine.
4.Run only if your outnumbered by at least 4 planes.
5.Fly slow when bombing or hitting ground targets
6.Never run from a dogfight.
7.Dont fire at an enemy whos guns are jammed or out of ammo.

Many Allied and Axis pilots never followed these rules,including Manfred's brother.Manfred von Richthofen also known as The Red Baron who flew a red Albatros and Fokker DRI
our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen! Send her victorious, Happy and glorious, Long to reign over us, God save the Queen!
[IMG]img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb200912171940...320px-Union_flag_160[IMG]

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26840

• Allied
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • God save the Queen!
I look forward to playing with you.Lets see who wins.Galahad the knight or Manfred von Richthofen the German Ace.
our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen! Send her victorious, Happy and glorious, Long to reign over us, God save the Queen!

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26851

• Paul Mantz, Jr.
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 6460

Allied wrote: I look forward to playing with you.Lets see who wins.Galahad the knight or Manfred von Richthofen the German Ace.

Looking forward the gauntlet that has been thrown. Let's have an honorable battle!

Winner gets bonus KARMAS!

Rules: Post your scores ASAP to start. (kills...bombings...etc. Most important! Games won!) The game is a "random" team sport.

Wendsday night. 0000GMT. (Check profile. Set your location. Add or subtract. We are all on the same time.)
Or you two pm & set a time to start. Then set up thread with scores. And updates.

Judges: All of us. Who would, could, we trust or want to be our wingman?

Good luck getting together.

Let's all watch! Get pics if you can & submit story to DOGFIGHT NEWS.

Last edit: by Paul Mantz, Jr..

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26895

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
  • Thank you received: 5075
Galahad,

Your positions on honor and ethics in Dogfight, what we here call "spawn killing" or "spawn raping" and your general introduction to the group are all quite nicely expressed. It's a pleasure to encounter the kind of eloquence we know was shared by Boelcke, Hawker, Guynemer, Richtofen (his brother was actually Lothar, Allied, unless I misread you) all possessed. You'll discover a broad mix here, from equally well read/spoken students of The Great War to kids without the slightest clue as to anything earlier than Iron Man. The sequel. I just flew a mission wherein the average age seemed to be mid-40's and up immediately followed by one with no one over 12. The hope is that, while waiting to get their driver's license and that elusive first official date with an official girl they'll develop an interest in studying about WW1 aviation...while busying themselves blowing me out of the sky, which happens much too often, I'm afraid. Some of these kids are good! Must be all that milk they drink, huh? Wait until they're of age and too drunk most of the time to shoot straight...the thought gives one hope.

I recommend you cultivate a friendship with Paul Mantz, an extremely pleasant guy with views very similar to yours and mine. Black Flag is another with whom I've enjoyed flying but there are many here with well cultivated senses of honor and appropriate gamesmanship, you won't have to search for them too hard. Scroll down to a recent topic titled "WAMP" for more on the issue of what is and is not suitable in-game behavior. As there are no "rules" per se, we're all making this stuff up as we go along so you see numerous shared, and differing, opinions expressed.

Welcome to the Dogfight corps! You're clearly a positive addition to the ranks.

All the best,

Wigbomb (not very Arthurian, I know. I don't even wear a wig much less one that's a bomb. Maybe I'll change it to Pendragon, huh? Wigbomb Pendragon...not bad.)

Wigipedia
The following user(s) said Thank You: Galahad, Paul Mantz, Jr.

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26931

• Allied
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • God save the Queen!
I dont drink milk at all.I hate it.I drink tea and Coke and sprite and cheerwine and pepsi.Thanks wigbomb.I forgot Richthofens brothers name.And dont forget Max Immelman.He invented the Immelman turn during the fokker scrouge.Even though im only ten i know all about WWI.Part of it because my grandfather used to be a pilot.Not in war though.One time after WWII he flew a B-17 flying fortress.I also know alot about nascar racing,cars,and trains.He is giving me an entire HO scale model train layout.He is gonna build a new one.

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26942

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
That's funny, Allied, personally I love me a glass of ice cold milk! You're right, of course, about Max Immelman, his influence was huge. My own favorite pilots were Charles Nungesser and Jean Navarre. I actually wrote a feature film about them.

You're very lucky to have such a cool grandfather, I'm sure he has some great stories, wartime or not.

Now go have a glass of milk, soldier. That soda and stuff'll rot yer teeth. ;)

Wigipedia

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26946

• Allied
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • God save the Queen!
He also served on a destroyer but i forgot what war.He even got several good letters from the FFA because he has flown so many far trips and different planes.He even has a memorial of him at the museum at Kitty Hawk in NC.He gave over 200 poor children rides in his plane.He has flown everything from a Cessna to a B-17.Yesterday he gave me some pictures of world war 1 planes that he used to have in his hangar.One had a BE2 attacking a zeppelin.Another had a dogfight.A Nieuport 17 vs a Halberstadt.The third was a Sopwith Dolphin.The last one is my favorite.Sopwith Triplanes vs a Pfalz DXII.These pictures are from the7 70s.Im gonna get them framed and hang them up.

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26947

• Allied
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • God save the Queen!
Sorry paul i cannot get on because i moved and the cable company needs to set up our wifi.

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26952

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
Man, would you and granddad love the Smithsonian WW1 exhibit! They have a Dolphin, Fokker D VII, Albatros D Va, Spad XIII, several others, all original, beautifully displayed. I love the Sopwith Tripe, too. Got to sit in one at a major fly-in years ago. Replica, I think, I'm pretty sure no originals have survived. Paul, do you know? I love N17's best but of hundreds of planes from around the world that Tripe was the one that gave me chills. Most beautiful plane I've ever seen. You should scan your pics and share them here.

Wigipedia
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Mantz, Jr., Allied

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26956

• Dentinhead
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't ask me, I don't know
  • Thank you received: 2736
The smithsonian is a great place. I went there once. One of the german WW1 planes there has a unique story if memory serves me right.. Supposedly It was being sent to a german base from the factory, got lost and landed on french side. The plane was used by allied pilots for training to see how it performed. I collect WW1 aviation books and have so many I will not be able to find the story again.... I'm sorry I'm not as well written as many of you are. Being an aircraft mechanic for so long has ruined my writing skills.....hahaha If I ever did have any....I do like seeing these history threads. lots of info for everyone...

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26957

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
Hey Dent! Nice to see you here. The story, and I could be all wet, was that a Fokker D VII landed just outside an allied base. The German pilot was captured while trying to torch the plane. He claimed he'd gotten twisted around and thought he was on his side of the lines but a plausible case can be made that he intended the "mistake" as a more expedient, safer method of surrender. The war was known to be ending in a matter of days so he flew across, landed, and saved his own skin. Then, as you said, the plane was used to train pilots in how best to outfight the superior Fokker. But by two weeks later the war was over, so there hadn't been much chance to apply the knowledge. I'm ducking down to DC from here in NYC this weekend, I'll be sure to revisit the WW1 exhibit and report back with corrections. Like you I have hundreds of books, war era first editions in the original French and German, full runs of Over the Front, Cross & Cockade, etc...and it's all buried so deep in storage it would take a month to dig anything out!

Wigipedia
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dentinhead, Paul Mantz, Jr.

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26961

• Allied
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • God save the Queen!
My grandpa has a basement full of books.WW1,WW2,Revolutionary war,Civil war,trains,airplanes.He also has some books of learning how to fly.My favorite is Aces of WW1.Thats how i learned about Immelmann and Boelcke.If you want nice WW1 planes or other model planes for cheap.Model Power makes metal ones for less than 20$.They also come with a stand.They even have a WW1 seaplane model.The wright flyer is bigger than the others and costs about 25$.You should go on model power.com and look at them.

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #26982

• Allied
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • God save the Queen!
sometimes i go up high where they cant see me and dive down and shoot them.One time i was on a bombing mission.I saw a friend that was on other team.We passed right by each other.I said huh and he said he didnt wanna fight because he was out of bullets.Someone on my team shot him down and he respawned right when i bombed and my bomb hit him and two hangars.I wont be on for a while because Cable is working on our Wifi.I dont usually fly straight at enemy base.If i do i go high altitude then dive and bomb.Sometimes i go around.I dont like when me and an enemy plane circle each other.I like loops and twirls.But you can test the enemy's abilities when you circle.So it is sort of good.Sometimes the pilot would wave at each other while they circle.

Last edit: by Allied.

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #27046

• Galahad
  • In periculo nos fugere
Hello SkyDavis,

Thanks so much for your reply and explanation. I will follow your advice. I've seen you in games here and there and look forward to flying as your wingman soon.

Best regards, Respectfully,

Galahad

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #27047

• Galahad
  • In periculo nos fugere
Sir Wigbomb,

Hilarious and heartwarming response, thanks so much! What fun to know there are like-minded players in the DogFight. I gathered there is quite an age range and differing tactics. I've reached out to Paul and will try to jump on so we can all fly together.

Respectfully and all best wishes,

Galahad

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #27049

• Galahad
  • In periculo nos fugere
Greetings Paul,

Thanks so much for your reply and challenge. I will try to join the game as you suggest and look forward to flying on your wing or on your 6!

Best regards respectfully,

Galahad

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #27105

• Allied
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • God save the Queen!
I shall see you soon Galahad.And tell me what you think of those tactics.I see too many people flying head on to bomb a base.Its not to smart.Sometimes it works but it usually doesnt.I look forward to flying with you or putting bulletholes in your propeller and engine and your cockpit.

Last edit: by Allied.

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #27107

• Galahad
  • In periculo nos fugere
I shall see you soon Galahad.And tell me what you think of those tactics.I see too many people flying head on to bomb a base.Its not to smart.Sometimes it works but it usually doesnt.I look forward to flying with you or putting bulletholes in your propeller and engine and your cockpit.

Hi Allied,
Yes, I read somewhere that Baron Manfred von Richthofen (probably the world's greatest WWI Ace) would always try to dive at his opponents while the sun was at his back. I try to dive from as high as I can for two reasons, one- you get more speed, and two you aren't as visible to the enemy.

See you in the air,

Galahad
The following user(s) said Thank You: Allied

Re: A Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement 11 years 9 months ago #27282

• Allied
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • God save the Queen!

SheiBe Kopf wrote: Allied is the best player ever and so awesome and he has best aim and he has a cute profile pic.He is so awesome and likes animals and nascar.HE IS BEST DOGFIGHT PLAYER EVER!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.539 seconds