Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36224

• ZandorHawke
  • ZandorHawke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • The second most famous 'Z' in the game!
  • Thank you received: 539
With so many kids playing this game, and soon going back to school, I thought it might be nice of Squadron MOM to parcel out some advice and words of wisdom from the older folks (I like to think of us as the not so great generation) to the kids (the under 40 crowd in my case). I'll start it off but please feel free to pass along anything you wish you had known growing up.

1. As you get older life gets better, but you will always miss your childhood. Don't rush to grow-up because you can never go back.

2. Boys Only - Girls are mostly shy and will actually give you the time of day if you are nice to them. Buckle up your courage and ask them out respectfully. If only 1 out of 10 says "yes" then you've had one more date then I did in high school. (Do you even know what a buckle is?)

3. Girls Only - Say "no".

4. When it comes to math you need to be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide. The rest is for show.

5. On the other hand public speaking is something you will use your entire life. Everyone is nervous doing it but it's how you handle it that will set you apart. Practice and don't shy away from it. Be the first to volunteer when it comes up in class. (Record your speeches and play it back at home...you will be shocked!)

7. Writing and grammar is equally important and it's a skill that is quickly deteriorating. When I interview someone for a job if they cannot speak or write effectively they don't get hired.

8. There will be events in your life that you will look back on until the day you die and have some measure of regret for not taking any action. Try to recognize these moments as they happen and before doing nothing, think it through and act. (Boys - we are warped which means virtually every event will involve a girl. Girls - Please revisit #3)

9. As a parent know that I would sacrifice my life for my children (as would most parents). How many other people in the world would do this for you? Think about this the next time you have a problem and need to talk to someone.

10. Nothing makes you look better than a smile.

PS - I know I missed #6. It's a MOM thing.
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/MOMsquadron/banner_zandorhawke3_zpsa2e87126
The following user(s) said Thank You: Makaela, salento, [NLR]*XxXxX*, $. $, SheiBe Kopf, new jersey devil, Paul Mantz, Jr., Fela ~ ~ ~bad, Conoco

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36227

• Conoco
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • M.O.M. Prodigy
  • Thank you received: 11
Odd topic... but useful indeed!
The following user(s) said Thank You: $. $

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36230

• $. $
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • My money bag
  • Thank you received: 51
How are kids supposed to be in ur sqaud if u have to be in 30s 40s 50s ect. Dude iff u want more people in ur sqaud then u have to lower the age dude I'm only 11 turnin 12 some other people are that age too
When life makes lemons
You shoot the lemons until there's nothing left

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36238

• [e]Sputnik
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Mt. Everest is my home.
  • Thank you received: 863
Umm. Ok?

Say you'll never let me go...
A wise sput once said "you laugh at my skills I laugh at your bank account"

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36245

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
  • Thank you received: 5075
Listen, kids: we all know Dogfight is a game but we all also know that it's a community. We've all made friends here even if this isn't Facebook. Those "friends" on FB, Twitter and all those social networking sites? Unless you know them, face to face, they're no different than the connections you make here. We aren't just little dots in a goofy virtual sky, we're real people in real places all over the world. That's why it can be so irritating when some player is smack-talking, swearing, bad-mouthing other players in-game. If you talked that way to a person's face you'd at least hurt their feelings and possibly get taken behind the school and beaten up.

Zandor isn't getting all preachy on you here, he's recognizing that we all, regardless of age, share a common interest and connection. So why not share some thoughts - and extremely solid, useful wisdom - that many players in DF are too young to have acquired themselves yet? Sure, we're on the older end of the DF age range in M.O.M, that's the point of the squad. (and to the commentor wondering how we expect to get new players if we restrict the ages of members, a) we don't, and b) we don't. Younger players are welcome to ask to join if they show the kind of maturity, intelligence and respect Zandor is talking about in this thread.) You younger players are all gonna blink and be M.O.M age yourselves. I think this thread of Zandor's elevates DF to something more than just a game, it's a friend offering advice to younger friends. You may think "11 going on 12" separates you from adults, but it doesn't have to; not in Dogfight and not in the real world. Zandor is an awesome guy, an awesome player, really smart...pretend he's 13 going on 14 and his thoughts still make the same kind of common sense.

Now put down the game and finish your homework so you can go mow the lawn.

Wigipedia
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]*XxXxX*, $. $, Paul Mantz, Jr., ZandorHawke

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36246

• Makaela
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 76

. Wigbomb wrote:

thanks for the advice I actually do need to do all of that in that order, how did you know :S
Don't ever quit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wigbomb

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36247

• [e]Sputnik
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

. Wigbomb wrote: Listen, kids: we all know Dogfight is a game but we all also know that it's a community. We've all made friends here even if this isn't Facebook. Those "friends" on FB, Twitter and all those social networking sites? Unless you know them, face to face, they're no different than the connections you make here. We aren't just little dots in a goofy virtual sky, we're real people in real places all over the world. That's why it can be so irritating when some player is smack-talking, swearing, bad-mouthing other players in-game. If you talked that way to a person's face you'd at least hurt their feelings and possibly get taken behind the school and beaten up.

Zandor isn't getting all preachy on you here, he's recognizing that we all, regardless of age, share a common interest and connection. So why not share some thoughts - and extremely solid, useful wisdom - that many players in DF are too young to have acquired themselves yet? Sure, we're on the older end of the DF age range in M.O.M, that's the point of the squad. (and to the commentor wondering how we expect to get new players if we restrict the ages of members, a) we don't, and b) we don't. Younger players are welcome to ask to join if they show the kind of maturity, intelligence and respect Zandor is talking about in this thread.) You younger players are all gonna blink and be M.O.M age yourselves. I think this thread of Zandor's elevates DF to something more than just a game, it's a friend offering advice to younger friends. You may think "11 going on 12" separates you from adults, but it doesn't have to; not in Dogfight and not in the real world. Zandor is an awesome guy, an awesome player, really smart...pretend he's 13 going on 14 and his thoughts still make the same kind of common sense.

So beautiful :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wigbomb

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36269

• *D~x~P-29*
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 330
I think it was really kind of you to take the time to share some valuable opinions, most of these players outside of the regulars may not be aware of the forum or for that matter take the time to review it. I read this topic, then had my son read it out as well, kids today aren't receiving good suggestion from all four corners with in there upbringings. Maybe the more they hear it, the more pressure is placed on them to succeed. I only stress that one, you have a goal, draft out your intention to accomplish them. No matter the age, not matter the life style or your environment , challenges will always face you. How will you approuch these challenges

thanks Zandore
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]*XxXxX*, Wigbomb, ZandorHawke

Last edit: by *D~x~P-29*.

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36279

• Dentinhead
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't ask me, I don't know
  • Thank you received: 2736
Good thread for all ages........Thanks Zandor, Wig and Dxp.....I only wish I was as well versed and written..... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]*XxXxX*, Wigbomb, ZandorHawke

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36322

• Luna
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1516
Great advice! I won't forget it.

Especially that writing skills part. I'm a bit picky when it comes to grammar, even more so with myself. Even in the in-game chat, my sentences HAVE to be perfectly written. It drives me crazy when I don't see an apostrophe where it should be, or when the first word of a sentence isn't capatalized. I dunno, I think it's just me.

All of the members of this community would be smart to remember Zandor's advice!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wigbomb, Paul Mantz, Jr., ZandorHawke

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36336

• $. $
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • My money bag
  • Thank you received: 51
But I ha to say that waz some good type in I could never type like that hope ur sqaud is doin good I already know cause u have so many members
When life makes lemons
You shoot the lemons until there's nothing left

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36601

• Makaela
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I actually have a question (: anyone want to give me some advice for job interviews? I don't have any yet but I've been applying at a lot of places recently so if you have advice on this please share
Don't ever quit.

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36610

• Paul Mantz, Jr.
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 6460

Makaela wrote: I actually have a question (: anyone want to give me some advice for job interviews? I don't have any yet but I've been applying at a lot of places recently so if you have advice on this please share

Research the company. How can you help my company? Know the interviewer's name BEFORE the meeting. Maintain eye contact.
Dress nicely. 1 step above required dress code.
Don't talk TOO much. Keep personal stuff personal.
Don't ask about vacation or time off at this stage.

Be confident! Be yourself!

I hope this helps a little.

Don't use DENT as a reference. They ALL know him!

Good luck to you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Makaela

Last edit: by Paul Mantz, Jr..

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36613

• [e]Sputnik
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Paul Mantz, Jr. wrote:

Makaela wrote: I actually have a question (: anyone want to give me some advice for job interviews? I don't have any yet but I've been applying at a lot of places recently so if you have advice on this please share

Research the company. How can you help my company? Know the interviewer's name BEFORE the meeting. Maintain eye contact.

Good luck to you!

But, but dents my favorite :(

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36615

• Makaela
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Paul Mantz, Jr. wrote:

Good luck to you!

thanks good info! And to late I already used him as a reference multiple times uh oh :ohmy:
Don't ever quit.

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36621

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
  • Thank you received: 5075
Makaela,

Paul's dead-on with his tips. A few more that might help:

Keep in mind that the interviewer wants you to get the job. so RELAX. She's on your side. If you nail the interview it makes her job easier and makes her look good when you rock at work! She'll be rooting for you so no need to be overly nervous. (a little nervous is natural)

Go back to Zandor's original post; communication is everything. If you can get through the interview without saying, "...like..." twice in every sentence you will almost certainly get the job. It's, like, y'know, a like, guarantee or something.

Definitely don't, as Paul says, ask about self-interest topics such as vacation time. Let the interviewer set the tone and the pace of the conversation. Listen. Nothing speaks louder than listening. But do ask questions if you have any. If you can't think of any, make some up while you're prepping. There are bound to be things you don't know about the company, the job, what you'll be doing. Don't hesitate to ask. That combined with the knowledge you gathered while researching the company will speak loud and clear about how genuinely interested you are.

Tasteful attire, good posture, firm handshake, warm smile, eye contact, cash bribe...you practically can't miss. :) As soon as you make assistant manager see if you can get me in...I'm dropping Dent from my references. Who knew?

Wigipedia
The following user(s) said Thank You: Makaela, Paul Mantz, Jr.

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36622

• |111th|KptnSINGH
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Top dolllar paid for ur rusty wings
  • Thank you received: 705

Makaela wrote:

Paul Mantz, Jr. wrote:

Good luck to you!

thanks good info! And to late I already used him as a reference multiple times uh oh :ohmy:

relax and talk to them as if they are your peers. You have to be able to sell yourself to them because every job requires selling skills. More than anything do your homework and have questions prepared for them to answer. An interview is just as much about you asking them questions as it is them asking you questions.

also

give lengthy answers not just yes or no maybe so

also dont be afraid to talk about your personal experiences if they are relevent. Dont just depend on academic achievements but Everything you have been involved in in your life. I bagged a job right out of college and the interviewing executive told me at the end of the interview that I got it because the guy before me, even though he went to a better college and had more academic qualifications lacked in the communication skills and selling abilities that I had. Dont be afraid to sound hometownish. be their friend.

hope that helps :)

this is how i fly !!! :)

Last edit: by |111th|KptnSINGH.

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36624

• Paul Mantz, Jr.
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 6460
Dent is my favorite person living in my trees. However, he still pees in the garden.

Sorry, Makaela, if you have already used his name plead temporary insanity.

Seriously, if you are anything in person like you are on here I would hire you in a second.

Also, reference 1 maybe 2 people. Some say "by request". Nope, if I can't call at least 1..I don't have time. And neither do you to get the answer. 1 or 2 calls do it. The "PROS" say none..but they have a job already. Tell them you know "RADAR" (Calvin). Job is yours.

Now, as Employment Consultant, I get a commission. 100% of 1 yrs. salary or cover my behind as I fly in to demolish "their" base!

Last edit: by Paul Mantz, Jr..

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36629

• |111th|KptnSINGH
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Top dolllar paid for ur rusty wings
  • Thank you received: 705
one thing I forgot to mention which is very important in entry level positions is to not put them down. I say it cuz I used to make that mistake when I was right out of high school. I would be like my goals are to one day get a degree in so and so and become so and so (something unrelated to the company)

KEEP IT TO YOURSELF

tell them what they would want to hear

you would like to grow old n wrinkly with that company :silly:

this is how i fly !!! :)

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36630

• Makaela
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks wig Paul and kptn, your all a lot of help! Thanks so very much :lol: now all I need is an interview :silly: if I get a job I will thank all of you right away (:
Don't ever quit.

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36631

• bopes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1481
When it comes to advice I think Steve Martin had some of the best, suitable for all occasions:

Be courteous, kind, and forgiving
Be gentle and peaceful each day
Be warm and human and grateful
And have a good thing to say

Be thoughtful and trustful and childlike
Be witty and happy and wise
Be honest and love all your neighbors
Be obsequious, purple and clairvoyant

Be sure to stop at stop signs
And drive fifty-five miles an hour
Pick up hitchhikers foaming at the mouth
And when you get home get a master's degree in geology

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull and boring and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed

(Ladies only) Never make love to Bigfoot
(Men only) Hello, my name is Bigfoot
(Everyone) Put a live chicken in your underwear
Go into a closet and suck eggs
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Mantz, Jr.

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36635

• Owlguy17
  • Thank you received: 10
Wait, how would the companies know Dent and Calvin? :huh: She might live on the other side of the country! Please explain. :S
It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.

~Aristotle Onassis
Skysharks guide the way to glory and honor.
(With the help of an owl, of course)

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36636

• Makaela
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Owlguy17 wrote: Wait, how would the companies know Dent and Calvin? :huh: She might live on the other side of the country! Please explain. :S

because dent is known everywhere and Calvin is famous lol
Don't ever quit.

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36637

• Fela ~ ~ ~bad
  • Thank you received: 67
YES! All of you guys are right in your advise. No need to add anything more. Makaela good luck. Don't forget your warm smile, that help to open closed doors...

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36638

• [e]Sputnik
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Makaela wrote:

Owlguy17 wrote: Wait, how would the companies know Dent and Calvin? :huh: She might live on the other side of the country! Please explain. :S

because dent is known everywhere and Calvin is famous lol

Calvin is not as famous a s me :unsure: :P :)

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36970

• Owlguy17
No rly. How? Plus, would they be known by their real names? What are their names? Do I ask too many questions?

~Aristotle Onassis

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36972

• Owlguy17
Makaela, all I can say is this: Follow their advice, and show up for the interview. Good luck from a 7th grader! :) Remember, 7. Lucky number. :)

~Aristotle Onassis

Last edit: by Owlguy17 .

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36973

• [e]Sputnik
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Owlguy17 wrote: Makaela, all I can say is this: Follow their advice, and show up for the interview. Good luck from a 7th grader! :) Remember, 7. Lucky number. :)

No 6 :P
Lol

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36975

• Owlguy17

~Aristotle Onassis

Some Advice From MOM 11 years 8 months ago #36977

• Owlguy17

[e]Sputnik wrote:

Owlguy17 wrote: Makaela, all I can say is this: Follow their advice, and show up for the interview. Good luck from a 7th grader! :) Remember, 7. Lucky number. :)

No 6 :P
Lol

Wow Sput....

~Aristotle Onassis

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.730 seconds