• Page:

TOPIC:

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228003

• DN : ENOXX !
  • DN :   ENOXX !'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 289
I know about a few statements concerning the fokker VIII. The VIII was without any chance, available 4or 5 weeks. It should be too hard to hit, but i promise that i was shot down with this plane more then a few dozen times! Sure, it was the best plane ever. In that short time the pilots know this plane not enough. Our top aces will find ways to shoot the viii down like other planes. The se5a was known as viii killer, i heard and had spoken with many fighters who told me that they use the se5a against the viii.
A davy, wig, bs and co. with a viii
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228042

• Viper10{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tip of the spear
  • Thank you received: 7914

I learned how to deal with the DVIII during its short run here. I think the biggest knock on it was that everyone wanted to play German, and there were never any allies to fight it, or rarely.

United We Prowl/Together We Howl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rudolf Rednose, ZebraUp, horriblebreast, DN : ENOXX !

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228049

• =TBH=|Jeromy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tanking reds down since.........TODAY!!!
  • Thank you received: 215
I think just to make it even if we brought the d8 back make the u.s. Top u.s. Plane single winged as well so it makes people want to play u.s. Side just as much as German I also think the u.s. Noob plane should be single winged to have a fair match with pro's and also with fellow noobs
The following user(s) said Thank You: DN : ENOXX !

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228053

• Rudolf Rednose
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2783
Well, the D8 made me start to love head ons.
Never stood a chance before that. But indeed no one wanted to fly 'Allied Air' anymore.

It might be so that the Germans had a good thing there, but I would like to know how many D8's they could throw against an ever increasing allied airforce. So if it comes back, should it not be heavily outnumbered? But that is for the statistic lovers amongst us to decide.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228071

• [TFL] muziki1
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 180
I still got the D8. Never had the last update from Zup and Amazon. Still luv it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, DN : ENOXX !

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228079

• 111th|Royal Flush
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Play your cards, show us what you've got...
  • Thank you received: 590
i must admit....the dviii ruined my head on skills because it was all i flew...i will be one of the pilots who flies allied against it without complaint

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228100

• baron rojo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3431

the best plane that passes through this juego.me were sorry to lose it, I will tear down many times, but hera lethal, nobody wanted to fly against loss el.una irreparable.me was angry when you could not give him hehe, but it was like Real normal fly wonderful, and it was difficult to hera derribar.el problem is that many new complained, as they could not have ... unless they pay full ??. I think we envy they had the it flew made us lose.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228105

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398
I still have the D8 on my Kindle Fire, but there is no longer an advantage with it.

Everyone else sees it as the SS so it has the same hit zone as the biplanes. When I play as allied I'm fighting D8s (small hit zone). If I'm in a dogfight all the German top planes are D8s to me but I'm a SS.

The only time it is an advantage now is when I'm German flying against someone who is allied on a Kindle. :huh: :lol:

Beware of all of us Kindle flyers once Amazon updates. I'm hoping for a big return on improved skills! :evil:
The following user(s) said Thank You: [TFL] muziki1, DN : ENOXX !

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228107

• =TBH=|Jeromy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tanking reds down since.........TODAY!!!
  • Thank you received: 215
Than u must be a boss when ur German side

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228114

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Lol, well I don't think I'm much of a monster but I do have better stats on average while German.

I'm actually glad the d8 is gone (for the most part). It really did throw off the balance in a big way. Having an allied monowing would have helped but it still would have made a much bigger disparity between the top planes and the rest. Believe me, there is a big disadvantage while targeting the smaller hit zone.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228176

• baron rojo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

if macfate.yo think putting a plane silmilar that there are very good, el.d8 had followed volando.por that had existed equilibrio.creo would have been the best solution, rather than stay without it.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228178

• baron rojo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

nor does it seem fair that some even that can fly and others can not hacerlo.o all or none would be the right no.crees? greetings

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228190

• [*M]ONSTER CANNON
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9167
I still show the DVIII on my kindle...but when it was active on all platforms...i flew mostly allied to try and find the weakness. I found flying the dVIII made my shooting rather sloppy...but I still use it until I get the upgrade.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228392

• DN : ENOXX !
  • DN :   ENOXX !'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 289
Baron rojo u speak direcly out what my heart feel. I loved this plane
and i still love it. I cant forget that feeling which no other one can bring me back! I thank u for that specially! Enoxx

Last edit: by DN : ENOXX !.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228583

• [TFL] Robert33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Hoot Hoot Shoot
  • Thank you received: 411
I don't mind the D8. It forces me to aim better. The only downside (as stated already) is that back when it was in DF, I only had a few teammates on the Allied side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper10{WP}, DN : ENOXX !

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228595

• baron rojo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

if rober is verdad.pero which play DF, with fewer allies is not enough to remove it as .a avio saludo.ese was beautiful and unique hera.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 9 years 4 months ago #228620

• [TFL] Robert33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Hoot Hoot Shoot
  • Thank you received: 411
Well, as we have witnessed, popular demand has removed the DVIII from the game, for better or for worse. In any case, let's just be happy that we have a very good game that we all can play :)

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263246

• Cundall
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 217
I imagine this topic is now done and dusted, but should the matter of the DVIII ever be revisted, here are some Allied monos that might face it:

Bristol M.1 - mid-wing monoplane that was very fast for its day. It didn't serve on the Western Front, probably due to prejudice against monoplanes, but it did see combat in the Middle East and Macedonia in 1917-18, and they were very popular personal aircraft for station commanders in the UK.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_M.1

The Morane-Saulnier AI was a late-war parasol monoplane that saw service on the Western Front up to May 1918 but was replaced by SPADs. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with it, and pilots liked its handling (one was used for a record attempt on the number of consecutive loops - 111!) but early on it suffered some structural problems and this may have countes against it. It was used as an advanced trainer well into the 1920s and also served with the Belgian and Polish air forces.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morane-Saulnier_AI

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263252

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for the links Cundall.

The D8 was a real game changer here. In some ways it was an interesting challenge. In warfare, new innovations often swing the balance of power until the other side caught up. The trouble was that Dogfight remained frozen in time with the advantage for for the Germans.
Having an allied counterpart would definitely have helped.

Lol, I see that one of the Bristols is historically credited with taking down a Fokker D8. :lol:
(Edit: Oops, it was a DVII) :oops:

How is the book coming? I'm I can't wait to see what you've come up with this time!

McFate
B)

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263254

• Cundall
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks McFate. I'm almost sorry I missed the D8 phase. That said, I'm sure I would have been cursing every time I faced one. I think it was a D7 that the Bristol shot down, but that wasn't bad going for a design that in Western Front terms would have been considered obsolete. It would be nice if DF could introduce new types every so often just to keep things interesting - when I came back we had the SS.IV, the Camel, the D.VII and the Sopwith Triplane which weren't available previously, which was nice for the novelty.

Thanks for the comment about the book. The next novel is a way off, but I'm hoping it will appeal to the DF community as it's about air combat. Before I get that finished, I have some non-fiction commissions to do (including one on the Sopwith Pup) which should be interesting. Also, I've just had the first part of a biography of a 1930s-40s test pilot published in The Aviation Historian - www.theaviationhistorian.com

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263271

• ZebraUp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Flying & Fighting with STYLE!
  • Thank you received: 4244

As others have said, the biggest problem with the D.VIII was the fact that few players were willing to fly allied against it... it was like playing cards against a stacked deck lol! (Especially me with my 'Spray & Pray' aiming system! :lol: ) You had to be an exceptional marksman in the air to take one down as the target area of it was at least as small as the mono-wing Eindecker, and perhaps even smaller.. yet it handled fantastic!

It made the game too uneven. If you were allied and there were competent pilots flying D.VIII's then your goose was cooked despite your skills.. so it's a good thing that zuperman yanked it from the hangar.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263287

• Longrifle
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 876
Agree with Zeeb, too many were logging in and out until they got the D8, and if you had the guts to stay allied you were facing waves of them and getting your clock cleaned. I used the same tactics I use against good pilots in the Fokker scourge; if the head on profile is too thin, don't engage from head on. Grab a few hundred more in altitude than the monowing and shoot it showing maximum area. Or go wideer than typical and take it in enfilade. Never play your enemy to his strengths if possible.

That's why I wouldn't mind seeing the D8 back, but not at the spped and climb rate the game has it set at. The SPAD and the SE5 should be faster as historical to amke swoop and dive attacks. With game settings, these are not sustainable, you get one dive attack and no recovery as the top enemy planes are exactly your speed. Same proble with Fokker DR1 and Neuiport, they should turn cicrles inside of everything else in the game, as historical.
This Gun's For Hire

The following user(s) said Thank You: ZebraUp, DN : ENOXX !

Last edit: by Longrifle.

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263298

• Cundall
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Strictly historically, Camel and Dr1 should be tightest turning, Camel more so to the right. DVII could turn about as well as a Camel could to the left. The advantage of the Camel was partly its turn, but also its sheer agility. It could apparently carry out impossible-looking manouevres, thanks to that close-coupled layout. It was, however, damn dangerous for inexperienced pilots.

SE5a and Dolphin (not available in this game, though I'd love to see it) had the advantage of speed but also range and altitude.

For proper historical accuracy, the D.VIII should break up in the sky at least once in a game! (OK, that was the E.V...) It was fast, especially for a rotary-engined aircraft, but not that fast. The Bristol M.1 had the same top speed, even edging it by 1mph, and that was an older design with less power. Rate of climb would be reasonable (trading low weight and low drag for higher wing-loading). Altitude performance with that thick cantilever wing should be good too. Unfortunately, the action in DF seems to take place at low level most of the time so we don't get to explore the differences at altitude.

Hey, Zup - can we make the zeppelin fly at 2,000ft? That should entice people up high for a change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZebraUp, DN : ENOXX !

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263319

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10674
I wouldn't mind it back but the allied side would need a plane to .match it f4 Martin buzzard would be my choice but I can't see sup bringing it back as there wasn't a noob in the game that could shoot it I flew allied against it with good success but I have been around a while :whistle:

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263322

• Longrifle
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 876

Cundall wrote: Strictly historically, Camel and Dr1 should be tightest turning, Camel more so to the right. DVII could turn about as well as a Camel could to the left. The advantage of the Camel was partly its turn, but also its sheer agility. It could apparently carry out impossible-looking manouevres, thanks to that close-coupled layout. It was, however, damn dangerous for inexperienced pilots.

Interesting; I hadn't seen that noted much for the Camel, let me know where you found rate of turn. I had always assumed the Camel was middle of the pack for mid to late war turn radius but strong to the right with early engine variants. On par with the Albies of 1916 for speed, it outmanuevered them and prevented them from running. One of the German aces (and I can never find the quote again to attribute it) said they Brits were killing them all in "this damn Albatross", but shortly thereafter they received the first DR 1s and later the DV II.
This Gun's For Hire

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cundall, DN : ENOXX !

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263327

• Cundall
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Turn rates didn't really get measured too scientifically in those days but pilots reported the Camel's right-hand turn (due to the precession of the rotary engine) was extremely fast. The right hand turn has become something of a legend, but has led to the erroneous notion that the aircraft couldn't turn left very well. It actually could, just less quickly than to the right. One of the best sources was VM Yeates (my avatar) who flew Camels in the war and wrote the novel Winged Victory. There's an interesting sequence from him about the merits of the Camel - I'll dig it out if I get a chance, but in short, the aircraft had a degree of instability that meant it could point anywhere, if only the pilot could control it. In terms of manouevrability, the Camel remained as good as anything until the war's end - it only became less useful when the DVII appeared in numbers (the Dr1 never really caught on and there were never that many of them) and air combat got higher than the Camel was at its best, not to mention further behind enemy lines, where short range was a problem. I'll look out some other sources.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Longrifle, DN : ENOXX !

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263340

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10674
Just as.a point of fact about the camel it killed almost as many allied pilots as it did enemy it was notoriously unstable due to the power of the engine making it want to roll with the engine .the one thing that was said about it if you could manage to keep it in control and make it do your bidding it was one of the most deadly planes of ww1. But I'd did keep killing allied pilots during take off and landing for as long as it was in service

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263389

• Cundall
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Indeed. A lot of that was down to the RFC pushing too many inexperienced pilots into squadrons, and an inadaquate training programme, but the aircraft was apt to bite the unwary. Victoria Cross, Red Cross or wooden cross, as pilots allegedly used to say (I think that one comes from Capt WE Johns IIRC)

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263408

• Heff006
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 219

Cundall wrote: I imagine this topic is now done and dusted, but should the matter of the DVIII ever be revisted, here are some Allied monos that might face it:

Bristol M.1 - mid-wing monoplane that was very fast for its day. It didn't serve on the Western Front, probably due to prejudice against monoplanes, but it did see combat in the Middle East and Macedonia in 1917-18, and they were very popular personal aircraft for station commanders in the UK.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_M.1

The Morane-Saulnier AI was a late-war parasol monoplane that saw service on the Western Front up to May 1918 but was replaced by SPADs. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with it, and pilots liked its handling (one was used for a record attempt on the number of consecutive loops - 111!) but early on it suffered some structural problems and this may have countes against it. It was used as an advanced trainer well into the 1920s and also served with the Belgian and Polish air forces.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morane-Saulnier_AI

this issue isn't dead with me! I paid $30 to buy this plane and upgrade it only to have it taken away 2 days later. This is why I refuse to subscribe! Once fooled shame on you, twice fooled shame on me! I want what I paid for.! Hustler!

Give the real fokker VIII a chance! 8 years 11 months ago #263440

• baron rojo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Joaquin ahora que necesitan mas disparos el v111.no seria tan letal,ademas si pones otro
monoplaza aliado lo podria contrarestar.para mi hera el mejor avion de dogfight junto al cebra con el que consegui ser mariscal.podrias volver a ponerlo muchos nos llevariamos una gran alegria.pon uno aliado para igualar los bandos y listo.un saludo

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.672 seconds