TOPIC:

A Fallen Comrade: LegendofKane 9 years 11 months ago #179802

• Wigbomb
  • Wigbomb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
  • Thank you received: 5075
It's with great sadness that I have to report the loss of a comrade: Michael Stanley, our M.O.M brother and real-life brother of the late Kevin Stanley, the original player called LegendofKane, has passed away.

A heart attack three months ago appears to have resulted in congestive heart failure. His death was, to my knowledge, unrelated to the degenerative disease that recently robbed him of his eyesight. Michael passed peacefully late last night.

In 2012 Michael was the one who informed me of the death of his brother, Kevin, my friend and a devoted M.O.M member. After Kevin's death Michael elected to carry on here in his brother's stead, playing his LegendofKane account. Michael's original thought was to build the account to Level 31 as a tribute to Kevin. In the course of doing so Michael, like Kevin, grew to regard us as his family and became a well know fixture here, among the most respected and beloved players in Dogfight's brief history.

Michael applied his unique sense of humor liberally to our game. His revolving door of personae, from "BigPoppaSmurf" to "The Economy" to "The Chameleon" to LegendofKane, and his often hilarious in-game banter, made him a singular presence in our community.

In the last few years Michael had had an indescribably difficult time. The loss of his wife and child in an auto accident, the passing of his mother and the untimely death of his younger brother, Kevin, all in a short span.

I'd like to express my gratitude to Lis, the hospice nurse who became fast friends with Michael and provided him with care and friendship in his final months. For all that, and for taking the time to convey messages from Michael to me and to share this heartbreaking news, I'm deeply indebted to her.

I don't need to say how much Michael will be missed. Those of us who knew him have already been missing him in Dogfight for months. I, and I'm sure many of us, thought and assumed he'd be back with us eventually. He'll be with me for as long as I am a member of this community and a Dogfight player, and beyond.

In the coming days I'll suggest a memorial tribute in which we can all participate. For now, my condolences to everyone in Dogfight. M.O.M has lost a brother, but the entire community has lost an irreplaceable friend.

--w--

Wigipedia
The following user(s) said Thank You: coolhandluke, Manfred, bellsaj, SkyDavis, woospy, oneball, *D~x~P-29*, Flying muck, |111th| MissHell, Jetmaroo and 25 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.482 seconds