The Foreign Legion

TOPIC:

Borinquen bella my island 1 year 3 months ago #387556

• Acegirl
  • Acegirl's Avatar Topic Author
  • i'm not bad. i'm just drawn that way
  • Thank you received: 9804
. .
.Feliz Cumpleaños: Rita Moreno, (Rosa Dolores Alverio) and born in Humacao, Puerto Rico: December 11, 1931. She is best known as Anita in West Side Story in 1961, a role that earned her the Best supporting actress Oscar, making her the first Puerto Rican, Latina actress to win the honor.Moreno also appeared on the children's shows Sesame Street and The Electric Company, and is one of only 11 people to have received the four major entertainment honors—Emmy, Oscar, Tony and Grammy awards. Rita Moreno has broken new ground for Latinos in the field of entertainment throughout her career. Moreno began her career in show business at early age. She appeared on Broadway and in her first film role in her early teens, and left school around the same time. Moreno is perhaps best known for her work in West Side Story (1961), a modern musical inspired by Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. A versatile performer, she had to sing, dance and handle very dramatic scenes during the course of the film. She won an Academy Award for best supporting actress for her portrayal of Anita, the tough but vulnerable girlfriend to the Sharks's gang leader—becoming the first Hispanic actress to win a Best Supporting Actress Oscar. After her success with West Side Story, Moreno took on a range of interesting roles on stage and in films. She performed with the likes of Marlon Brando, Jack Nicholson and James Garner. Her career took another interesting turn in the 1970s, when joined the cast of The Electric Company, a children's television program. She stayed with the program for six seasons and became known for her trademark catchphrase: "Hey, you guys." She and the rest of the cast won a Grammy Award in 1972 for the show's soundtrack. Only a few years later, Moreno won a Tony Award (best featured actress in a play) for her work in Broadway's The Ritz (1975). Accolades didn't stop there for Moreno. She went on to win two Emmy awards for guest appearances on The Muppet Show (1977) and The Rockford Files (1978). She is one of only 11 people to have received the four major entertainment honors—Emmy, Tony, Oscar and Grammy awards (also known as the EGOT). Moreno again impressed critics with her turn as a no-nonsense nun on the cable television series Oz from 1997 to 2003. Today, she continues to act in feature films, make guest appearances on television, and sing and perform in theatrical productions.Source: biography.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex Galt, Pegoud

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Acegirl.

Borinquen bella my island 8 months 3 weeks ago #388492

• Acegirl
  • Acegirl's Avatar Topic Author
  • i'm not bad. i'm just drawn that way
  • Thank you received: 9804
. .

The following user(s) said Thank You: Pegoud

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Borinquen bella my island 4 months 1 week ago #389230