Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

F-22 Raptor 11 years 1 month ago #75100

• Luna
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1516
A lot of it boils down to the pilots' skill.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

F-22 Raptor 10 years 11 months ago #89285

• WEEEBLEZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • WONT GO DOWN THAT EASY
  • Thank you received: 49

Luna6 wrote: Role: air superiority fighter

Builder: Lockheed Martin / Boeing

Variants: YF-22A, F/A-22A

Operators: USAF

The F-22 Raptor is the world's first stealth air-to-air fighter. It is developed to replace the F-15C in the air superiority role. The F-22 is the first production aircraft with the ability to super cruise – flying at supersonic speeds without the use of afterburners.

The plane's builder Lockheed Martin Corp., has built several F-22s for test purposes. Most are at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., undergoing a series of tests. Last year the pentagon approved production plans for an initial batch of 13 production aircraft.

Recently the designation for the Raptor was changed to F/A-22 to indicate the possible air-to-ground role of the aircraft. JDAM bombs can be carried in the internal weapon bay, while the optional external pylons offer a more flexible station for air-to-ground armament.

Specifications: Powerplant: two Pratt & Whitney F119-P-100 turbofan each rated at 155.69 kN (35,000 lb st) with afterburning

Dimensions: length 18.92m (62 ft 1 in); height 5.00m (16 ft 5 in); wing span 13.56m (44ft 6 in)

Weights: empty more than 13.608 kg (30,000 lb); Max Take-Off Weight 26.308 kg (58,000 lb)

Performance: max level speed at optimum altitude Mach 1.58 in supercruise and at 30,000 ft (9145m) Mach 1.7 in afterburning mode; service ceiling more than 15,240m (50,000 ft); g limit +7.9

Armament: one 20mm M61A2 Vulcan six-barrel gun with 480 rounds; 2 AIM-9X Sidewinder IR-guided missiles in internal side bays. Up to 6 AIM-120C or 4 AIM-120A AMRAAM missiles in internal fuselage weapon bays or 2 AIM-120C AMRAAMs and 2 GBU-32 JDAM bombs or 2 GBU-30 JDAM bombs. Up to four fuel tanks and up to 8 missiles can be carried on optional external hardpoints. (Reportedly there are plans for a F/A-22C with larger weapon bays capable or carrying a larger selection of Air-to-Ground weapons and weapons such as the AGM-88 HARM).

...copy and paste does wonders :P

Sauce: www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-3168.html

Note: this source is from 2005

The millitary toke out the 20 mm to make room for more missles they designated the crusader (veitnam era aircraft) to be the last gunfighter, but this isnt true the f-4 phantom had a machone gun buikt into a pod, but it later had been permenatlt mounted to the aircraft. So the f/a -22 and f-35 dont have any guns only the first designs.Ps thrust vectoring baby
Just try to knock me down just try me

Last edit: by WEEEBLEZ.

F-22 Raptor 10 years 7 months ago #122217

• Cundall
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 217

General lee CSA wrote: Hey guys
You're missing one thing here
If a p-51 got in a dogfight with a f-22 the pilot would be able to breathe... If the f-22 pulled one of its famous hypoxia stunts it would have to rtb and the p-51 would win
Game
Set
match

In the 1960s the RAF did some 'dissimilar air combat' evaluation between an English Electric Lightning and a Spitfire. There was some chance of an armed conflict against a country that still used NAA F-51Ds as the main fighter, so the RAF dusted off a Spitfire PR.XIX and set up a mock dogfight with one of its Lightnings - a Mach 2 fighter armed with IR homing missiles. The tests proved that if the jet pilot got drawn into a dogfight, the prop fighter would have a pretty good chance. Of course with TVC, this might be a different story, but exercises with F-15s against Indian Sukhois with TVC shows that this isn't always the answer, as an aircraft thrust-vectoring to turn tightly will inevitably lose height. If a jet pilot is fool enough to get pulled into a low-speed turning fight with a piston fighter, he probably deserves what's coming!
The following user(s) said Thank You: |111th|tSwopCaml

F-22 Raptor 10 years 7 months ago #122323

• Spectre-Blackstar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "..with a garlic aroma that could level Tacoma"
  • Thank you received: 742

WEEEBLEZ wrote:

Luna6 wrote: Role: air superiority fighter

Builder: Lockheed Martin / Boeing

Variants: YF-22A, F/A-22A

Operators: USAF

The F-22 Raptor is the world's first stealth air-to-air fighter. It is developed to replace the F-15C in the air superiority role. The F-22 is the first production aircraft with the ability to super cruise – flying at supersonic speeds without the use of afterburners.

The plane's builder Lockheed Martin Corp., has built several F-22s for test purposes. Most are at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., undergoing a series of tests. Last year the pentagon approved production plans for an initial batch of 13 production aircraft.

Recently the designation for the Raptor was changed to F/A-22 to indicate the possible air-to-ground role of the aircraft. JDAM bombs can be carried in the internal weapon bay, while the optional external pylons offer a more flexible station for air-to-ground armament.

Specifications: Powerplant: two Pratt & Whitney F119-P-100 turbofan each rated at 155.69 kN (35,000 lb st) with afterburning

Dimensions: length 18.92m (62 ft 1 in); height 5.00m (16 ft 5 in); wing span 13.56m (44ft 6 in)

Weights: empty more than 13.608 kg (30,000 lb); Max Take-Off Weight 26.308 kg (58,000 lb)

Performance: max level speed at optimum altitude Mach 1.58 in supercruise and at 30,000 ft (9145m) Mach 1.7 in afterburning mode; service ceiling more than 15,240m (50,000 ft); g limit +7.9

Armament: one 20mm M61A2 Vulcan six-barrel gun with 480 rounds; 2 AIM-9X Sidewinder IR-guided missiles in internal side bays. Up to 6 AIM-120C or 4 AIM-120A AMRAAM missiles in internal fuselage weapon bays or 2 AIM-120C AMRAAMs and 2 GBU-32 JDAM bombs or 2 GBU-30 JDAM bombs. Up to four fuel tanks and up to 8 missiles can be carried on optional external hardpoints. (Reportedly there are plans for a F/A-22C with larger weapon bays capable or carrying a larger selection of Air-to-Ground weapons and weapons such as the AGM-88 HARM).

...copy and paste does wonders :P

Sauce: www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-3168.html

Note: this source is from 2005

The millitary toke out the 20 mm to make room for more missles they designated the crusader (veitnam era aircraft) to be the last gunfighter, but this isnt true the f-4 phantom had a machone gun buikt into a pod, but it later had been permenatlt mounted to the aircraft. So the f/a -22 and f-35 dont have any guns only the first designs.Ps thrust vectoring baby

Not true.
The F-22 sports a M61A2 cannon, while the F-35 has two configurations: the conventional TO/L model has an internal cannon, while the VTOL versions have it in a pod.

I worked on the F-22 program for 5 years before retirement--before that--I spent most of my career onF-16s, and a 3-year stint on the F-117.

Not sure why you think all post-Vietnam aircraft don't have internal cannons. Most of them did.
Attachments:

F-22 Raptor 10 years 4 months ago #142204

• Tuck
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 434
The CTOL F-35 internal gun is a 25mm vs the normal 20mm too. The carrier variant of the F-35 also uses the gun pod.

A 16 guy! I have 17 years on 16s too, with 2 on F-15s. Currently working the F-35 program as a civilian. It's cool, but I prefer working the F-16 over everything. It's THE crew chief's jet. Given the opportunity, I'd jump the F-35 ship for it (any block).

As for the topic, any bullet will hurt any aircraft. Skins are typically just aluminum, titanium, or composite, nothing cosmic. What damage a .50 would do is a matter of where it hits & what it hits under the skin. Jets are a maze of wiring harnesses, ducting, & tubing, along with fuel cells and components. All critical systems are redundant though.

F-22 Raptor 10 years 4 months ago #145539

• fb_1520984987
  • ao2(aw)(sw)
  • Thank you received: 0
IM an navy vet of a FA/18F SuperHornet squadron.... Love info on all those old jdam..jasow... agm-35...sparrow weapons... fun to finally hear something I can reminess about...

F-22 Raptor 10 years 4 months ago #145540

• fb_1520984987
  • ao2(aw)(sw)
  • Thank you received: 0
m61a1 and a2 guy here cranking rounds in that badboy with a speed handle sucks....

F-22 Raptor 10 years 4 months ago #145553

• Tuck
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 434

fb_1520984987 wrote: m61a1 and a2 guy here cranking rounds in that badboy with a speed handle sucks....

Weapons guy (ordie), huh? Crew chief (APG) here (engines/airframe/hydro)I had a terminal desk job position, but I missed the ramp & wrenching on jets so much I retired to go back to it lol.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.527 seconds