Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362975

• Coug737
  • Coug737's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 61
When Dogfight first started up, my unique flight tactics helped me rise through the ranks. Nowadays, dive bombing is referred to as cheating. Silly me, I thought is was a genuine tactic that was often used in both World Wars.

Approaching from weak points is battle strategy, not cheating. Shooting down dive bombers and people approaching from the sides is not impossible. I have done it several times. Stop accusing strategists of cheating.

If we play without strategy, then we don't end up in dogfights. It's just attacking head on repeatedly. The more expensive plane wins every time. There's no point.

Strategy is not cheating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, ZebraUp, Sharp Shooter, Acegirl, R E Z, StarsandBars, Cypher7{WP}, airwolff

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362977

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398
Well said Coug737.

I couldn't agree more.

The Dogfight Meta -By Luna. On strategic gaming possibilities.

[NLR] McFate wrote: On Tactics, strategy and game philosophy

(A collection of posts from:)
The Unofficial Dogfight Law Library

SB467 DF MAXIM's & MORE -Strategic advice and more from a combat flight instructor.

There are no Rules: An Article on DF Ethics

Tips for the lopsided game from MäX

What makes a 'GG' a good game

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!!

Get a tissue!

Head on only? Why?

Bombing game tactics ?

Transcend Your Game -By Luna, how to coordinate an effective sneak.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ZebraUp, Coug737

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate.

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362978

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"If the game was supposed to only play head-on, then Zup would have designed the map like this-" -LF Killer
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZebraUp, Sharp Shooter, Coug737

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362979

• Cypher7{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 4939
Dive bombing and sneaking have been a hot topic. They are options in the game. Not every player agrees with these strategies. So what is a player suppose to do? Cave in to popular play tactics or play the way they want to? I think coug you play with grit and imagination. I say play the way you want in the perimeters of Wolf Packs guidelines. Which you have always done
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, airwolff, Coug737

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362980

• Cypher7{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
And its high time to get a banner made up for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coug737

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362981

• Sharp Shooter
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Life member DAV / AIRBORNE All The Way
  • Thank you received: 763

Thats what im talkin about lol,FAN OUT,go east,go west,go hi go low,spread out lol. It takes time to gain altitude and approach for a dive bomb run and it aint easy,try it sometime from 3,000 meters. It is a sound strategy with pros n cons, drawback is time and you usually still get shot down, more effective if u communicate on team chat :) so CHEERS,and lets all spread out lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, Acegirl, R E Z, Coug737

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362982

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10674
Never had a problem with sneaking .its part of the game .
But when it 5 against 2 .it seems low cheap dirty .
If 5 guys cant get past 2 guys you need to go play candy crush.
Yes its takes a long time to sneak over.but no real effort in it when the teams are lopsided.
You wont hear me bitch if teams are close or even .its when its so unbalanced sneaking shouldnt even be necessary.
Why does everyone worry so much about their kdr .or win at all costs .
Its a freakin game you get shot you get another plane .its not like some other games where you die your out .
The game is supposed to be fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gizmo., [*M] Pagan, Acegirl, [*M]Comet, R E Z, {GI} E*A*G*L*E, dognamitt, StarsandBars, Coug737

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362983

• Coug737
Absolutely. It is very cheap when you outnumber.

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362984

• Coug737
McFate, that map just made my day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate

Last edit: by Coug737.

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362985

• [*M]TBUILT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • I back my squad 100% what's your excuse?
  • Thank you received: 17012
Don't have a problem with sneaking it's part of the game as long as the teams are even like Wabbit said but wiping out a base while invisible in a tank is cheating. .:whistle: then asking if you're invisible then finishing up the rest definitely is.;) :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M] Pagan, [*M]Comet

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362988

• SCAMPERS REVENGE
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 106
This topic again? you know what they say about opinions and holes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362994

• [*M]TBUILT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • I back my squad 100% what's your excuse?
  • Thank you received: 17012
I think if you ask any seasoned veteran of the game what they consider an even game, they wouldn't say any 4 vs 4 game is fair game.
That's like saying a 10 speed bike against a Formula 1 car is a fair race or a high school hockey team against Pittsburgh is a fair game. Lmao
I think most take rank and skill into consideration when they say even teams.;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZebraUp, [*M] Pagan, [*M]Comet, StarsandBars

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362996

• dognamitt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • you will miss 100% of the shots you dont take
  • Thank you received: 5755
here is a old one about this me and davy had a real fun game (i miss davy)
dogfightplay.com/index.php/forum/2-gossi...trategy?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362997

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Why get upset about uneven games or about someone doing a sneak (or anything else) while oneside is outnumbered? The worst case scenerio is that the game will end sooner than it would have and the next one will probably have a whole different balance.

Does it hurt to lose? Don't get upset, just move on to the next game. Besides the winners on the high side of unbalanced games don't get awarded as many points as an even game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] The Blue Fighter, Acegirl, dognamitt

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #362998

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10674

[*M]TBUILT wrote: I think if you ask any seasoned veteran of the game what they consider an even game, they wouldn't say any 4 vs 4 game is fair game.
That's like saying a 10 speed bike against a Formula 1 car is a fair race or a high school hockey team against Pittsburgh is a fair game. Lmao
I think most take rank and skill into consideration when they say even teams.;)

I totally agree with this .
There are so many second accounts.who is to say who is a real noob anymore.( thats one major problem with the game)
Been around long enough to know who is noob .

Now im not starting anything here ..(does it hurt to lose ).hell no it does not .
The real question is does it hurt to win at any cost .i say yes it sure does .
Now when you were a noob (you know who u r).were you not given the opportunity for a fair battle .did you not gain valuable knolage.were you not given the opportunity to defend yourself and your base..is this not the reason your a top gun now .
Wouldnt it be better for all that fly in this game to show a bit of respect and god dam common courtesy.

Its not always about getting it done and moving on to the next game .(isn't that just hunting points)
Ive seen great pilots now stooping to low grade tactics .when they know they can get a good run in .its sad really
This game that so many people poured their time and effort into .a game that people couldnt put their device down because it was an addiction has just become another game .
So many people cried the games can go on for hours and did (my longest game was 4 1/2 hours )got what they cried for now a game that lasts for more than 5 minutes is a long game? Really try again.
So sneaking on outnumbered teams is low grade stuff.
So is camping when there is no reason .
Reason to stick at a base or ship.theres a team mate just comming in.theres a tank to protect .your trying to leave (witch is pretty easy) but someone is shooting at you.
People need to just suck it up butter cups.it a freakin game get over yourselves.
Half the people dont talk because their afraid the upset someone and get flamed in wc or forum.thats just bs in a can .
I left for a year only to come back and see more bs and panty waist cr*p that ever .
My question is what the fook happend to dog fight what the fook happend to having some fun and laughs in a game .
Zup does.everything he can to keep this game running .why you got to trash it..
Dont like what i have to say send me a pm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]TBUILT, [*M] Pagan, [*M] GAW, Acegirl, [*M]Comet, Viper10{WP}, StarsandBars

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #363000

• Viper10{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tip of the spear
  • Thank you received: 7914

I'm sticking with the tried and true "play games with folks you like to play games with and avoid games with folks who use tactics or antics you don't like" method. Easy peasy. Know your game "characters" I guess would be my best advice.

As an example, I never was a marathon game player, and would avoid the 4 hour game players when possible back when 4 hour games were possible.

Looking at the big picture, some folks use tactics and make for enjoyable games as either red or blue, some folks use tactics which don't seem right in my mind's eye. So I try, and recommend everyone else try, to surround myself (yourself) with folks you have fun with and do what you can (I know this isn't always possible) to avoid the ones who you don't have fun with. This is coincidentally in line with the topic "Strategy and Cheating are very different". Though I primarily like to fly down the middle and mix it up that way, I tend to embrace strategy and frown on cheating. Before anyone comes back with "there is no cheating" or something along those lines I would say that you define cheating and strategy however you like and I will do the same. We are all allowed to have differing opinions without either opinion being right or wrong, only right or wrong for me or you. Make sense?.

Those without subscriptions may have difficulty finding games they like unfortunately.

I agree with Sir Bunny, it does hurt to win at any cost. That's why I will never play with that mentality. Sure, I like to win, we all do. That isn't why I play.

United We Prowl/Together We Howl
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]TBUILT, [*M]Comet, Cypher7{WP}, Coug737

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #363004

• [*M]Comet
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Take off eh!
  • Thank you received: 11899
I heard Phil Connors relived Groundhog Day less than this topic
Bannerless and naked. Whatever...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZebraUp, Viper10{WP}, Cypher7{WP}

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #363006

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yup,

This issue comes up over and over again because people try to tell others the right way and the wrong way to play. Someone complaining and calling "cheat" is what prompted the original poster of this thread. If people followed Viper's advice instead of bitching we could be one big happy family!

Well, probably not because someone 's feelings will always get hurt when they lose, or because others won't cooperate and play by their style, or because someone else plays the game to win at any cost, or because they think people should leave when they are on the high side of an uneven game, or because one side has more skilled players, or because someone has a better more expensive plane, or because their hits won't register on a lagging red and the red won't leave because they say everyone else is lagging too, or because someone is playing on a device that doesn't have trees, or someone else's device is more responsive than theirs, or because some noob kills a red tank that is nowhere near the blue hangars, or because they think someone is intentionally lagging, or because someone else hasn't done the most recent update yet, or because they had a bad day and not had enough beer yet, or because they are just sour little angry people, or they think someone is padding their stats by playing WW1 when they already have WW2 planes, or because they think dogfight used to be a great game but now it's all shot because Zup made too many changes, or because they wanted to play the same game for hour after hour but someone ended it with a sneak, or because they felt hurt that someone would do something that they didn't expect or didn't think of themselves, or because they already made it to MORAF once and think that they should still have that "honor" because they already "earned" it....

So instead of just going for the next game they feel they need to express their fully justified anger and resentment at the people, the author and the game that they claim to love so much.

So we can beat this dead horse over and over or do as Darrax said "people just need to suck it up buttercups.It a freaking game get over yourselves" .
Wow. We actually agree on something!
:-p

Edit: I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't point out glitches or report actual cheating, those reports are helpful, in fact Zup needs feedback in order to fix issues. But there is a difference between bitching and constructive criticism. One is helpful while the other is toxic. Which side are you on?
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M] GAW, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, Viper10{WP}, Cush62, Coug737

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #363018

• Cypher7{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
This thread has very well written posts from some of our top pilots of old. All valid points of view. I remember very well getting my head handed to me IN DF1 by the likes of Comet , Hulk Tbuilt , Darrax, and my CO Viper. It made me a better Pilot and taught me respect. Respect to how long it took these guys to get that good. I think we all can Agree on this. Its better with all of you and your playing styles in the game, opposed to the game only allowing a small variation of terrain and tactics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]Comet, Viper10{WP}, airwolff

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #363223

• acefreely
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 805
People should learn to relax a bit. I myself just play to have fun and don't care who win's , who sneaks , who camps. There's always someone better than you and the faster people get a grip on that the easier things will go... People should learn how to defend these tactics and have fun doing it. My motto has always been I don't care who wins or loses . But one will not get any better unless they just play the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, Viper10{WP}, Cypher7{WP}, airwolff

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #363227

• Cypher7{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

acefreely wrote: People should learn to relax a bit. I myself just play to have fun and don't care who win's , who sneaks , who camps. There's always someone better than you and the faster people get a grip on that the easier things will go... People should learn how to defend these tactics and have fun doing it. My motto has always been I don't care who wins or loses . But one will not get any better unless they just play the game.

I second that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: airwolff

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 9 months ago #363276

• pmoon1{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 851
I was pretty disappointed yesterday when someone ended a game with a sneak that had just been a slug fest, was such a good game, then the next game was a cookie game and really ruined the night, but I'm not bitter or anything lol. Just hate it when good games end that way but it was probably a newer player who could only get a bomb on the base by doing an end run. Been there, done that

What doesn't kill you can hurt like the dickens!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper10{WP}, dognamitt

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 2 weeks ago #370650

• Coug737
Well said, MadRabbit I had to take a break from the drama myself.

Last edit: by Coug737.

Strategy and Cheating are very different 6 years 2 weeks ago #370691

• Sharp Shooter
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Life member DAV / AIRBORNE All The Way
  • Thank you received: 763

The only reason i shoot reds head on is because i couldnt bomb them while sleeping in their barracks B)

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.709 seconds