Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Just a Message 7 years 2 weeks ago #358453

• [NLR] Luna
  • [NLR] Luna's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 559

Hello, everyone!

This isn't a special occasion, at least not to most, but it is to me. It's now been 5 years since that first time I set off the Dogfight runway. I just felt the need to write out some passing thoughts to the community here.

Five years is quite a long time, relatively speaking for myself, especially considering that it comprises nearly 20% of my lifetime. That's a huge chunk of living I've spent in the Dogfight family. Sure, not every waking moment is dedicated to this online community, but nevertheless it's something that I've spent significant time with.

I've met and made many friends, some of which are still here, most of which have come and gone. I've watched as the game and the players behind it, evolved and shifted as the priorities, attitudes, groups, and fundamental frameworks of DF changed. If I went back in time when I first clicked that Download & Install button, and told myself that five years from now, I would still be involved in this game... well I wouldn't have believed a word.

But here I am, so far away and such a different person. Teenage years are undoubtedly some of the most turbulent and self-defining phases of a person's life, and I spent quite a bit of it here. I'd be lying if I said I didn't learn a lot of things by playing this video game.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that, in these last five years, Dogfight has:

...allowed me to, even for just a few minutes at a time, escape to a place where I know there will be friends waiting.

...helped me understand that it's okay to have fun, and how far to take it before it isn't.

...shown me that you can learn something from anyone, even if they don't realize they have something to teach... and consequently, somebody will always learn from your own actions in some way, so try your best to make them good ones.

...taught me to pick my words carefully because you can rarely ever take them back.

...made me realize that you can't make everyone follow the Golden Rule, but the one person I can make sure does so every time is myself.

...let me make mistakes and become a better person because of them.

...reminded me that it's okay, perhaps even optimal, to approach every new issue from different perspectives.

...reprimanded me for acting out of frustration, anger, or impulse.

...proven to me that courtesy and consideration goes a long way.

...influenced me to grow thick skin, especially in for the real world where you can't turn off the screen.

...most importantly, shown me that joys and memories can be found in the most unexpected places, and in the most surprising ways.

Is it foolish for me to claim that a video game for mobile devices helped me towards these lessons that I will keep for life?

No, I believe not, because my present self is the product and culmination of my past experiences. I cherish DF, and more importantly the people I've met in it, for the simple fact that these are lessons and memories that are worth keeping.

Thank you Dogfight, for being so much more than just a game to me. You're a life lesson guide of multiple personalities, backgrounds, and viewpoints. I honestly, truly, would not be the person I am now if it wasn't for all of you.

I have no clue what the future holds... and I'm sure I still have so much more to learn.

But, I know the people of Dogfight have it in them to keep this community going strong as long as our game is online; and even if one day it goes down, many friendships will still stand. I'm certain that, despite the ebb and flow of this dynamic system, despite lash and backlash, disagreements, and quarrels; everyone can still find the time and consideration to appreciate one another as friends.

How can I be so sure? Well, you're still listening to me, after all...

From one virtual pilot to another,
Thanks for reading.

~Luna
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]Jacob10000, New York Jet$ fan, Jeramy, Throttle, [*M] MISFIT CROCKETT, baron rojo, [NLR] McFate, TXLAWMAN, ZebraUp, [NLR] The Blue Fighter and 9 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by [NLR] Luna.

Just a Message 7 years 2 weeks ago #358456

• [*M] MISFIT CROCKETT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 13215
Thanks Luna, I know how you feel. 5 years ago and dogfight has given me many memories and much fun. We have ZUPERMAN to thank for that. My wife and I have had the privilege of actually meeting several players, I might name them all later if I can. What fun we had both in game and the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Throttle, baron rojo, [*M] Pagan, Acegirl

Just a Message 7 years 2 weeks ago #358457

• Husky Dog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3536
It's kinda funny. I grew up in a time where if you had an encyclopedia collection at your home, you were the shit! Nowadays, you have the world's knowledge in the palm of your hand. Not only that, but you get to enjoy the company of people half a world away! It's amazing to me, and somewhat boggling.

Your true life has just begun, Luna. Don't waste it.

Oh, and GO RIVERS!

To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into thy bosom’s core
The following user(s) said Thank You: Throttle, baron rojo, Acegirl

Just a Message 7 years 1 week ago #358710

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps
  • Thank you received: 849
Cheers, Luna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Throttle, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, [NLR] Luna, {NLR} Octavia

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.743 seconds