Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ABOUT ME ! > My Profile 7 years 5 months ago #347794

• Grandpappy 9+1 {WP}
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 464

Hi, Grandpappy 9 here. I started out as Pappy14, then PAP XIV, but after 9th grandchild born in July, changed to Grandpappy 9 (Thanks for suggestion, Dog!).
I have been playing for about 2 years give or take and although I am not an ace and never will be, I still enjoy it.
I just turned 71, am married for just over 50 years, and have 4 kids, 45 down to 39.
I retired a year ago July, so it seems I should have lots of time to play, and I did play a lot right after retiring, but now it seems there are too many other things to do.
Thanks, Lil, for this opportunity to talk "ABOUT ME", and to learn about others I have known in the game for these last 2 years.
I forgot to mention my location....I live in Fort Wayne, in northeast Indiana.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dognamitt, Dunc7

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Grandpappy 9+1 {WP}. Reason: added location

ABOUT ME ! > My Profile 7 years 5 months ago #347805

• Cypher7{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 4939

Viper10{WP} wrote: Hi all,

Jim here, originally from Bucks County, Pa but relocated to Florida thanks to a long career in the US Navy. Presently I am 53 years old and getting better with age.... :dry: I retired in 2009 as an living at home. (Ah, the peace and quiet!)

I love music and moonlight as a DJ for the local VFW post. Otherwise I have two old cars and an older model motorcycle I tinker with, take to shows, etc. They take up most of my spare time. I love to run but unfortunately between a work related injury (Fighting with a wanted subject in the back of a pickup truck) and a nagging bone spur I'm sidelined for the time being.... so why not just get fat? Mrs. Viper is a dancer, which makes me a dancer by default. Not a bad way to spend an evening all in all.

I love aircraft and anything to do with aviation and the dynamics of flight. I was fortunate to have spent a long career surrounded by not only the finest aircraft in the world but some of the best and brightest men and women bar none. It was a privilege to follow, lead, and serve along side with the Aviation Electronics Technician Senior Chief with designations in Enlisted Air Warfare and Surface Warfare. After 2 years of retired bliss I foolishly took a job in law enforcement, choosing to use my people skills vice technical skills as I find it is more of a challenge and less travel than a professional career using my professional knowledge and skills would have provided. Significantly less money but I have found that money isn't a source of happiness or satisfaction.

I have 3 children none of who still live at home. The lovely Mrs. Viper (Linda) has two children also not countless US Navy sailors I had been stationed with, and I would do it all over again given the opportunity.

Posted a pic from my final deployment. This is from 2004, HS-7 Dusty Dogs detachment to Kuwait. I am pictured standing center behind the kneeling guy in the blue jacket. Pictured is one of our HH-60H aircraft, HS-7 Commanding Officer (Green flight suit), and all the aircrew and maintainers in that detachment. I got to spend 4 months of a 6 month deployment forward deployed to Kuwait and the USS Essex operating in the Persian Gulf. It was pretty sweet except for the occasional sand storm.

Oh yeah, and I'm a Steelers fan! Go STEELERS!

Great thread LiL.

I really hope to meet you in person some day. I would love to sit on the porch puffing a cigar with some scotch, and just listen to you narrate your experiences in a story like fashion. Law enforcement has a bruised image these days. In most cases people fear and avoid the police like the plague. But if I ever needed the police I sure hope you show up. Its a real privilege to have you as a Squad leader, role model, teacher, confidant, and friend.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Cypher7{WP}.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.598 seconds